Rule 17: Minimum Standards for Gun Locking Devices
17.1 Definitions (9 NYCRR Section 492.1)
As used in the Rule, the following terms shall mean and include:
Gun Locking Device means an integrated design feature or an attachable accessory that is resistant to tampering and is effective in preventing the discharge of a rifle, shotgun or firearm by a person who does not have access to the key, combination or other mechanism used to disengage the device.
Magnetic Key or Electronic Key means a magnetic or electronic device which is encoded with a unique magnetic signature or which emits a unique electronic signal that disengages a gun safety device or other safety feature of a weapon.
17.2 Standards Pertaining to the Characteristics, Design, Operation and Construction of Gun Locking Devices (9 NYCRR Section 492.2)
A gun locking device must:
- Open only by either a numeric combination, key, magnetic key or electronic key. Those devices that operate by means of a combination must require the entry of at least three variables of numbers, letters or other appropriate symbols entered in a specific sequence on a keypad, dial or tumbler device.
- Be constructed with such quality of workmanship and material that it may not be easily pried open, removed or otherwise defeated by use of common household tools.
A gun locking device must not:
- Be locked by means of a screw or screws.
- Have any exposed screws that, if removed, would render the gun locking device ineffective.
- Be disengaged by a handcuff key or common household tool.
- Be subject, at the time of sale, to voluntary or involuntary recall by the manufacturer.
17.3 Standards Pertaining to the Performance of Gun Locking Devices (9 NYCRR Section 492.3)
When properly applied, a gun locking device must be effective in preventing the discharge of a rifle, shotgun or firearm by a person who does not have access to the key, combination or other mechanism used to disengage the device.
17.4 Standards Pertaining to the Instructions for Use of Gun Locking Devices (9 NYCRR Section 492.4)
A gun locking device must be accompanied by written instructions on its proper installation and removal.
Authority: General Business Law § 396-ee.